Skip to Main Content

Ellenville Housing Authority

Ellenville, New York

Our Mission

Ellenville Housing Authority is a federalized public Housing Authority with a mission to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.

What We Do

The EHA manages several funded programs:

  • 34 Public Housing Affordable Housing Units - Apply Online
  • 30 Senior Units - Apply Online
  • 144 HCV Section 8 Vouchers (Closed Currently)

Applications are accepted for Public Housing and our Senior Housing units online ONLY.

Where We Are

Ellenville Housing Authority is nested in a valley in the beautiful Catskill Mountains in Ulster County. Our office and Multi-family complex are located at 10 Eastwood Avenue, Ellenville, NY. Our Senior Housing is located at 199 Canal Street, Ellenville, NY.


For maintenance emergencies on weekdays - after-hours (4:30pm to 8am) and on weekends, please call 845.431.9100.

Considered emergencies are:

  1. Electrical Sparks
  2. Exposed Wires
  3. Fire
  4. Flooding
  5. Leaking Hot Water Heater
  6. Broken Water Line
  7. No Heat
  8. Non-working Toilet or Clogged Sewer
  9. Water

For Medical, Safety, or Life Threatening Emergencies, please dial 911.

Services we Provide

  • Tenant-based Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher
  • Senior Public Housing
  • Multi-Family Public Housing

No Smoking Notice

All buildings, apartments, and properties are smoke free. We have designated outside smoking areas located 25 feet away from the buildings as per HUD Regulations.


for Voucher Property Rentals

Map showing Ellenville in New York state

Serving the Town of

Wawarsing & the Village
of Ellenville, New York


We want to make it simple and easy for landlords to participate in Ellenville HA Housing Choice Voucher Program (also known as Section 8).

If a tenant approaches you about accepting a Housing Choice Voucher, there are four steps to follow.

Step 1: Screen the tenant to ensure you are making a good selection.

Step 2: Tenants with our Housing Choice Vouchers will have a form to fill out called Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA). You should complete the landlord section of the form, along with the Disclosure of Lead-based Paint form. When the tenant submits both completed, signed forms to our office, we will contact you to schedule an inspection. You may submit the forms on behalf of the tenant, if you wish.

Step 3: We will inspect the unit to ensure that it meets HUD's Housing Quality Standards. We request that the landlord be present at the initial inspection. The utilities must be on and the unit must be ready for occupancy. The inspector will discuss any repairs that may be necessary with you.

Step 4: After your unit passes inspection, and the amount of rent you are charging has been approved, you and the tenant enter into an initial lease. When all of the final, signed documents have been received, we release payment to the landlord within at the first of the month and there afterwards.

About Your Lease Agreement

Landlords may also use their own lease agreement and EHA provide the rental lease agreement for both landlord and tenants to sign. The lease should not be signed and dated until after Ellenville Housing's approval.


EHA is required by HUD to confirm that housing assistance payments are issued to the legal owner or a legal representative of the owner. To comply with these requirements the Housing Authority will request the following information prior to approval of a HAP contract on a unit:

  • State or federally issued photo ID.
  • Proof of ownership in the form of a deed or title to the property to be assisted.
  • Copy of a management agreement if the property is managed by a third party management company or agent. (Proof of ownership is not required if a management agreement is provided).
  • Completed W-9 Form
  • Copy of the most recent mortgage statement indicating that the mortgage is current or a statement that the property does not have a mortgage.
  • Copy of the most recent paid property tax bill indicating that taxes are current.
  • Executed direct deposit authorization form.

The specific documents listed above are required for each property receiving HAP (Housing Assistance Payments).


Once EHA approves an eligible family's housing unit, the family and the landlord sign a lease and, at the same time, the landlord and EHA sign a HAP (Housing Assistance Payments) contract that runs the same term of the lease. Payments will be generated direct deposit monthly, following execution of the HAP contract. In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with EHA.

The Housing Authority began the transition to direct deposit for Housing Assistance Payments.

  • Direct deposit is cost-effective for the Housing Authority;
  • Direct deposit is quick, safe, and reliable for Landlords;
  • No more trips to the bank and waiting in line.

All landlords must complete a direct deposit authorization form and participate in the direct deposit. The Housing Authority will no longer issue physical checks for Housing Assistance Payments.

HUD Landlord Resources

Domestic Violence Protections

The Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA 2013) expands housing protections for victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking. Changes under VAWA 2013 include extending protections to survivors of sexual assault; allowing survivors who remain in the unit to establish eligibility or find new housing when a lease is bifurcated; providing survivors with emergency transfers; and additional notification to applicants and tenants of housing rights under VAWA. While these changes substantially extend VAWA's coverage to include most affordable housing programs, they provide no protection to tenants in private market-rate housing but do apply to tenants with vouchers in private market-housing.

EHA will provide all protection under VAWA 2013 to program participants and family members of program participants who are victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault or stalking from being evicted or terminated from housing assistance based on acts of such violence against them. Learn more about VAWA here.